Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Marley and Me

I heard this quote yesterday and had to write it down...

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
-Harriet Beecher Stowe.

What relation does it have to this book??

When reading a book, it is the first few pages that determine if you borrow/buy the book. The next few chapters that determine how fast you finish the book. And the ending that defines your memory of the book.....usually.

The ending of this book talks about the death of the family dog - Marley. And so when I heard this quote, it corresponds well to add on to my remembrace of the book.

But a little about the beginning and the middle of the book first.....

This book can be said to potray the life of the author himself. It is a simple book with a simple storyline. About meeting a girl, marrying her, finding it tough to have kids, deciding to have a dog to determine if they can adjust into having a third party in the family....and thus Marley emerges.

It is filled with naughty antics, disobedience, near frustrations...all funny to a reader who loves dogs as well. And as a reader also expecting a baby, the joys of having a child and how the child relates to the dog is also very endearing.

Then the ending.....

The author comes to realise that the grief he feels from the death of his dog has impacted him more greatly than the grief of any person passing to date. Funny how dogs creep into the depths of our heart....unknown. But it is no wonder really when you think about it.....a dog's ability to continuously accept, forgive and still remain loyal is totally amazing.

Relating the death of his dog in an article (the author is a journalist) brought many sympathetic replies. In that short moment, a warm memory is established in the mind of his readers and emmitted out in a warm empathetic greeting. The death of a dog can bring such warmth and can even bring people from no where together.

Only a dog can do that, I reckon. In death their spirit of acceptance, forgiveness and loyalty once contained within their bodies now reside within the persons they loved so well - their owners! That is the depth of their soul ingrained.....



7 comments:

cdason said...

Your blogs reflect you are someone of deep thought, and loves reading..

Dogs are great pets, but i somehow don't like them coz they love to jump on me, and do their licking stunts.. YuckSS!!

Ann said...

hahaha....yeah....apart from all those, they are lovable creatures no?

Poh Nee said...

Dog is the only pet that I don't have...still wonder why till today!?!?

Btw, you've been tagged again! :p

cdason said...

and how do you do that?? I mean tagging!!!

Kathie "Moomykin" Yeoh said...

Thanks for the review. I wish I have time to sit and read. Well, when I do sit and read, it's with 2 boys on my lap and reading aloud. Can't do any of my own reading unless the kids are asleep... and there's a heap of other things, i.e. chores to do... sigh... Miss leisure reading.

Kathie "Moomykin" Yeoh said...

Btw, dogs are really great pals. Have always had dogs since we moved to a house when I was 6.

The time I cried over a dog was when one was sick and had to be put down. I was 19.

Ann said...

Kathie...yeah, leisure reading is a luxury I was told I may have to forgo when my lil one comes!

But at different times in our life, I guess we derive pleasure from different things we do!

Betcha in a few years, you will miss reading with your boys. So best enjoy the moment now!

cdason - you are tagged when someone else writes about something and asks you to write about the same thing. View 'poh nee's' blog and you can see how she tagged me on what I intend to do on the 08/08/2008! Usually you are tagged by people who you have listed on your blog - coz this means they visit you and you visit their blog often.