Tuesday, August 7, 2007

My Sister's Keeper


IRONY at its best is so well depicted in this book.

That death at the end of the day (or book) makes all the years (chapters) of heartaches, yelling, hurt and sadness seem so ridiculous.

The basic plot is about Anna who was conceived by in vitro fertilization so that she would be a genetic match for her older sister Kate, who was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia when she was 2 years old. When Anna was born, her cord blood was donated to her sister, but when the leukemia returned she then had to donate blood and bone marrow. When Kate's kidneys fail Anna is expected to donate a kidney to save her sister, but she hires a lawyer to be medically emancipated from her parents and gain the right to make the decision for herself. Her lawyer, Campbell Alexander, works for her pro bono.

The ending of the book is a page turner coz we want to know how the case turns out. But there are more surprises in store which are more important than the verdict of the case. If you want to know the ending, please go to My Sister's Keeper at Wikipedia.

There were 2 things that was mentioned in the book which caught my attention though. (I am para-phrasing)
1) In the face of adversity, the human strength is like a bamboo. You do not know how much weight it can take until it is fully tested.
2) We can never outgrow our children as fast as they can outgrow us.

Think about it.....

3 comments:

Tuan Rumah said...

Hi! I'm one of the top 20 AllMalaysia contest i.e. Why Must Visit Malaysia? . Since I've been shortlisted, I received tonne of traffic. Good new! I would like to share my traffic with you. How? Vote for me and I will link back to your blog. There will be more traffic come to you if I'm listed on Top 5. Just email me at kzainul@gmail.com once you have voted. If you're not interested, please ignore this, you can delete my message if you hate it.

Kathie "Moomykin" Yeoh said...

Wish I had all the time to read. Envy you.

Ann said...

Kathie - hahaha.....you will say that everytime I do a book review! Your time alone will come sooner than you think....or hope and expect.