Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Old movies' theme songs

One of those mornings....baby was sleeping so managed to relax a little, make myself my first cuppa (after 10 months!!!) and turned on Astro.

Cheers was on.

Not much of a fan of Cheers actually. But what struck me (must be one of those melancholic mornings), was that the theme song was actually very meaningful.

I knew this all the while, but never really gave a thought to it. And came to realise that there were some sitcoms during my early years whose theme song (as well as the show itself) had pretty meaningful words!

(Was also thinking, these were some short songs I could sing to Christopher!)

So, here is the "Cheers!" song...with lyrics

Where Everybody Knows Your Name (by Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart Angelo)

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.





And another I used to remember was "Facts of Life"



And there is "Full House"



Another favourite of mine..."Who's The Boss"

Brand New Life (by Larry Carlton, Robert Craft, Martin Cohan and Blake Hunter)

There’s more to life that what you're living.
You take a chance and face the wind.
An open road and a road that’s hidden
A brand new life around the bend.

There were times when I lost a dream or two.
Found the trail, and at the end was you.
There’s a path you take and a path untaken
The choice is up to you my friend.

Nights are long but you’re on your way
To a brand new life,
Brand new life,
Brand new life around the bend.




And so many more.....Growing Pains, Family Ties, Life Goes On, Perfect Strangers etc.

Ahh....those were the days!

The only current one I remember now that has quite a nice theme song is "Friends"!

4 comments:

JLow said...

Hi Ann,

Couldn't agree more! "Cheers" was one of the most successful sitcoms around, in an era when content was more important than (say) looks; vis-a-vis "Friends". That was one of the few shows I tried to follow as much as I could during school days.

It made me feel a little more adult, amidst the other shows like A-team and Airwolf! (I am a boy ok!)

Kathie "Moomykin" Yeoh said...

Nice trip down memory lane.

It's strabge what a baby does to a Mommy. During my first confinement We celebrated Mike's first Fathers' Day. But it was also that week that I was listening to the Carpenters and missed my dad so badly. I think I really really grieved my loss then, 2.5 years after he passed on.

Ann said...

Jlow - yeah, Cheers was really one of those ONE of the few good sitcoms those days!

Kathie - yeah, a baby tend to make you look at things we previously took for granted in a different light....

Ponytail said...

Wow! I just heard the "Cheers" song over the radio a couple of days ago while driving home with Zoe and I have the same thought - the lyrics are really meaningful. Never really felt that way when I was watching all these shows when I was younger :p