My son is at that stage where he is thumb sucking. he does it everytime he is sleepy and sometimes when he wants his feed. Although when he is hungry, he tends to put his whole fist in instead of just his lil thumb.
My mum came down last weekend and commented that he wants a pacifier.
I have been very against pacifiers from the beginning partly due to my father's influence. Also I have heard it is not the best thing to give to a baby.
But now my concerns are as follows:
1) At the baby sitter, if no one will take the trouble to comfort him, at least he has his pacifier
2) Chances are his pacifier is cleaner than his hand/thumb
3) When he screams for his milk and no one can attend to him straight away, at least, he can suck on his pacifier first
4) Weaning off a pacifier is better/easier than weaning off a thumb!
1) If his pacifier drops on the floor and no one washes it but pops it back into his mouth....then???!!!!
2) WIll it be easier to wean off a pacifier than a thumb?
My dad has suggested we put mittens on his hand if we are not around to take his hand away from him (coz babies will not like the mitten taste). But I am not sure if that is do-able in the baby-sitter's place.
I think I am close to giving in and getting him a pacifier. There are plenty in the market these days. And there is one from Pigeon specifically catered for their age (0-5 mths, and when they are teething etc.) Could be a marketing gimick!! But will it bring him more comfort especially at the baby sitter's?? Sigh...I think my anxiousness in sending him out in the world alone is making me want to give him something comfortable to take along!
At my wit's end....thinking and thinking