Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mosquito a hunting!

Yesterday as I was putting my son down for his nap, I noticed a mosquito buzzing around nearby. Oppsss...he landed on my son's exposed leg and smack myhand went! I didn't really care at that point if my smack would hurt my son. All I wanted to do was kill that silly mosquito!

But I missed. Subconciously I guess I must have been trying to avoid hitting too hard as well.

It must have flew off coz after that I searched all around his cot and moved his blanket around and the pillows but didn't see a wing of it !

It later bit me as well....

But my first thought when I saw the mosquito was...Dear Lord, please don't let it be 'one-of-those' mosquitos!

Yeah...those white spotted mosquito that could be carrying not only Aedes now but that irritatingly silly virus Chikungunya!!!

There really does seem to be more and more illnesses that we have to be concerned about ! How much can we protect our children.

Imagine if they were to be bitten by one. Recently in The Star...it said

"Those infected often have fever, headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, muscle
pain, rash (but no related haemorrhaging), and severe and sometimes persistent
joint pain. The fever lasts a few days to a couple of weeks, but some patients
have prolonged fatigue lasting several weeks. Some patients
have reported prolonged joint pain and arthritis. As you may have noticed, many
of the symptoms are similar to dengue except for prolonged joint pain. "


I can't imagine if any child had to go through that kind of suffering! (Makes me wonder if I should have #2!)

And ever been with your child when they had the shots? As it is, they scream blue-murder in baby language as it is!

Now there are even flu shots that are recommended to be taken! No doubt a short term stink is better then days and days of baby can't sleep, baby can't breathe, baby coughing etc. etc.

Sigh....got to admit now that I have a kid, I am so much more careful with what I do with the environment, I make sure my rubbish at night is bundled up carefully and thrown...

I guess there is only so much we can do to protect them. We have to leave it to their immune system and their own ability to watch out for themself! And all we can do is pray real hard every day!

Parents are the greatest prayer warriors in the world! Nothing beats getting down on our knees and knowing that God will be taking care of them too!

4 comments:

JLow said...

Members of my family have always attracted mozzies, for some reason. In a room full of people, mozzies would zoom in only on us. My kid (including my 2nd kid now??) also seem to have adopted this "trait", whilst on Wife's side they don't worry about mozzies because, well, they are left alone by these pests. Wife says its 'cos I smell, and that I have passed this trait onto Caitlin too. I say it's 'cos we are sweet on the inside!

Regardless, it's a nightly ritual now that just before bedtime, this Daddee would be on the prowl with the mozzie zapper, all fully charged and thumb on the button, hunting every nook and crany of the bedroom, rustling at every possible surface them pesky pests may be hiding on (an insect which, by the way, serves no purpose on Earth; unlike the fly for eg, whose purpose is to breakdown and decompose matter), and getting the full satisfaction of hearing them "POP" when I do catch them...

Muuaaahaha...

Hooi Imm said...

Since we live in cold country, we don't get mosquitos year round, just during the summer.

Even then, it's not as bad as in M'sia.

Kathie "Moomykin" Yeoh said...

jlow,
my family attracts mosquitoes too. It apparently has to do with the body temperature being slightly higher than the person next to us.
So, yeah, my boys are like that too, and I am also always on the look out, especially when we go for walks in the evenings.

Ann said...

Hooi Imm - all I can say is "You are soooo lucky!" But I guess every place has its insects and its insects!

Jlow, Kathie - I thought it had something to do with the acidity of the body! I think the more acidic, the more mosqs love to bite!