Friday, March 21, 2008

Half a year old

This milestone has no physical achievements save for the fact that some kind of vege/fruit can be digested in boyboy's system apart from just Nestle Baby Rice.

My kind and knowledagble babysitter is in opnion that we should take it easy (and stop being overly enthusiastic) with the feeding new food timing. However, I couldn't help it considering all other kids were already on fruit purees at 5 months or so.

So, (naughty me) I let him try some apple puree last weekend, 3 days short of is 6th month! His first reaction was that of grimace! And he actually stuck out his tongue. Then as the second mouthful went in, he looked at me and started to smack his lips. Mmmm......just a little sourish but quite nice!

No pics I am afriad coz I fed him alone without hubby!

Then on Thursday, 2 days after his 6th month, I steamed some carrots and put it into his Nestle baby rice. He ate it up like normal. Guess the carrots did not change the taste of the baby rice much. And I did not give him alot for fear he would turn orange! hehe....

Then just just now, I was browsing in the baby food aisle of Cold Storage and started looking at all the baby food. There were actually many varieties of baby food sold. There were jars of green peas, squash, sweet potato, pumpkin in all combinations. But I reckon I should stay away from the combination stuff just in case he reacted to something in the paste. Best to stick to the one ingredient foods first!
Pear looked like a safe choice. Apple and sweet potato seemed also safe...but I have that at home and can do it myself. So, I bought the pear Heinz. I will let him have a taste tommorrow.

And if he doesn't like it, hubby can have the best experience ever of eating up after boyboy! Hehehe.....

So far, boyboy loves trying all the new food I have been mouthing into him. I wonder who is enjoying themself more - me or him!

Now, I know why my mother in law loves to feed her 3 boys! The joy of seeing them eat well!

And now, presenting Christopher at 6 months!


Apart from his food, he loves the door knob, the remote control, his left thunb and mummy's shirt right at the shoulder where his head rests when being carried!

8 comments:

Bobo Bear said...

Feeding baby is like a rollercoaster ride. There will be ups and downs especially when he decided to put food all over his face.

Kathie "Moomykin" Yeoh said...

6 months!! So fast! Seems like it was just yesterday when I had wanted to visit you and your new born.

You should try steaming some of the natural food yourself, i.e. pumpkin, sweet potato. Better than jar ones anytime.

Have fun feeding boyboy. :)

HI said...

Happy 6 months old, boyboy!

Yeah, making own baby food is easy and better for the baby. Just make sure you introduce new food every 3-5 days, so that if there's any reaction, you will know which food.

A gift from God said...

Ann,

Don't buy baby jar food. It's expensive and might not be so nutritious. It's easy to make your own! just cut up the vege and stuff and steam it and then use a blender or mash it! If you are clueless to the yummy combination.. let me know...or what i did for the first time... I check the labels of the baby jar food and follow their recipe! One of Reese fav is (to be taken only after your baby got used to solid food) spinach/potato/sweet peas and the other one is corn/carrot/potato/beetroot. When he is about 8 months old I added fish in it. These recipe goes well with Why Not? cereal or any other cereal with milk. It's definitely healthier than porridge. Usually I do the steaming and blending once a week. After combining all the stuff, you will have that it's a one week supply of food. So freeze it in little tubs. You can get those little plastic bowls at baby shops.

For now, you can try to steam some pumpkin. It's sweet and yummy. Try to use organic vege and fruits. I use organic stuff till after Reese turns 1. It's a little more expensive but it's better for their health.

Julie said...

Haha...the most enjoyable person is you definitely. I know just how excited you are. It's fun to feed and see our little baby had their first taste of different food.

I can't wait for Jonathan to reach 6 months.

andrewjune said...

lil christopher is so cute...well, i must also start to find out what's best for my girl girl as she will be turning 6 months soon...
happy feeding lil christopher!

Ann said...

Bobo Bear - yeah...have to use a bib now else he will have it everywhere on his shirt!

kathie - time really flies!Yeah, I know I should make it from scratch! Sigh....

HI - I only get to feed him during the weekends so its definitely one new food every week!

Florence - managed to stay clear from the jar food until this weekend actually when Tesco had it on offer and hubby couldn't resist!

Julie - haha....I didn't wait till boyboy was 6 actually. My bbsitter started giving him baby rice cereal when he finished his 4th month! Position your camera, bowl in hand, and snap away ya!

Andrewjune - yeah, the research part is half as fun as the making part and quarter of the fun as the feeding them! Happy researching, cooking and feeding! Will look out for updates in your blog!

Ponytail said...

Congratulations!

When Zoe turn 6 months, we actually bought a mini cake like its her Birthday...hahaha..yea, we are crazy. We celebrated the 6 mths milestone...

Time to take out all the masak-masak...