Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Calling home

I called a friend that day and realised that he was overseas on a meeting.
I went home to my inlaws for dinner and realised that my bother in law was in China for a presentation.

Be it marketing, management or even like me, a software implementor, travelling overseas is not uncommon anymore. The business world is borderless. No one can ever be confined to the borders of their Identity Card anymore.

For me as a mother, it is very hard to be away from my husband and kid. I gave up my previous job when the travelling started to become too frequent. When I was away from home, my prepaid phone card only lasted me a day or two. And I would have to consciously think of all that I wanted to say before I called to avoid wasting money on empty talk!

This current job I am holding also requires me to travel, but to a lessor extent. Everytime I travel, I thank God for 2 things-the phone and the internet. In New York, I would make a beeline to phone companies to get a phonecard! Calling home now a days is so much easier. And thanks to these phonecard companies, the rates to call home are getting more and more competitve and somewhat cheap!

So the next time you or any of your loved ones travel, remember to check out the phonecards available and make the distance closer! Then maybe all of us can still have a high flying (literally) career!

8 comments:

simon said...

aaaah... you're back at it. :)

Ann said...

haha...ya....didnt expect to have any available...but when oppotunity arises...why not grab it!

had to go back to your tutorial and see if I did all the right things!

andrewjune said...

i love travelling on business trips too...but i seldom has the opportunities :-(
hubby travels a lot so before rachael was born, i often tag along :-)
so when he goes for mtg, i go shopping LOL

andrewjune said...

hey i've re-emailed you. pls check :-) and let me know if you've received my mail.

Ann said...

June- didn't get it! hope I gave you my email right. It is esp2_mayn@yahoo.com

andrewjune said...

do you hv another email? probably your mailbox is full?
anyway, i checked and i did send you the right email twice...

Moomykin said...

Gadget-daddy's gonna start traveling again... it's like between the devil and the deep blue sea. His last job made him work like up to late nights and he hardly saw the kids for 2 months except on weekends. Now it'll be a regional position, so have to cover 5 different countries.

Sigh... we'll be missing a good strong role-model for the boys...

Ann said...

Mommykin - you mean his new position? Hmmm....then hopefully you do get to live near your sister! But yeah...esp for boys....no one to be that strong role model. Hopefully his weekend will be home and free ya!