Friday, June 20, 2008

Being in New York

It is hard being in New York.

I mean there are some levels of difficulty as it is working in UN - may it be the fact that we are contract workers, we are too far away from our immediate bosses, we are not part of the main stream communication, we are from different nations, different cultures.

But being in New York makes all these difficulties more apparent.

We are in the middle of change management here. HEAVY change management.....and on top of that, we are in the midst of upgrading our accounting software.

It is funny, I have studied change management and been through on in my previous organization but in NY/US, change management is taken to a whole new level. There are seperate units who handle communication and change is taken seriously and talked about in too many meetings in a week.

Upper management (when it suits them) expects the lowest unit of them all to be able to conform to the change and in no terms tell that to you frankly. If your immdiate boss leaves, (come on) you are after all a part of the whole unit. Your ex-bosses boss will now look after you. There is no reason for concern!

Sigh....

And even on the social side, my colleague from another country who also flew to NY for the same reason as I bought me a gift from his home country. Being Asians, we decided to get him some chococlates from NY to bring back. Unfortnately, it didn't cross our mind to get him anything from Malaysia.

But our colleague from NY then told us it would be rude to give (back) a gift only out of obligation. She personally would be offended.

Sigh...

It's a total different ball game played in NY. It's an adjustment too. I have been here 1 week, 1 week more to go and frankly, I can't wait to return. Things are too apparent here for my liking. Partly because I know I don't have to conform seeing that I am here for only a short while.

I am resisting change management (fluid as it should be) at the core.

10 comments:

Angeline said...

I understand that sort of struggle...really need a big change in mindset girl....not easy...good luck!

A gift from God said...

Hang in there... I can understand what you are going thru... I am glad I left my job under of the project of UNIDO...haha

andrewjune said...

glad to see you around again Ann...well, on the brighter side you're in NY...after all those frustrations, go for a walk in the city or do some shopping and buy something for chris & ur hubby :-)

another week to go and you will be home soon eating our very own local malaysian food...besides missing your family, i bet the food is second on your list...

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

Pat said...

Don't be discouraged - what with different country, different cultures, diferent time zones, away from home, etc, etc....you are coping as well as you can be! :)

Every morning as you wake up, ask the Lord to give you wisdom and strength to deal with what's coming for the day, and I believe he will pull you through.

Take care and enjoy your weekend there :)

KM said...

Hang in there, Ann.
Just 7 more days and it's HOME sweet HOME!

HI said...

Change is HARD! It's easier when you know you're only here for a short while. :)

Too bad we can't meet up, perhaps next time in M'sia.

Julie said...

Be bold, be strong!

Moomykin said...

Flannery O'Connor said it:
Change is Painful!

Be praying for you, my friend.

Hang in there. You'll be home soon enough.

Ponytail said...

We are waiting for you to come home...hee hee hee

Ann said...

All friends, thanks so much for your encouragement. Some words brought tears to my eyes. Make me miss the comfort of home! But helps spur me on for the rest of the week.

HI - yeah...my days are too filled up in NY. Maybe when you come back you can meet up with all your friendly bloggers ya!

PN - I bet you are. I am your St Claus right!