Monday, April 6, 2009

Cooking Lessons 1

I baked a cake over the weekend - it was a steamed vanilla cake with loads of raisins! Verdict?
My sis was kind enough to say that is was yummy. I didn't put any other flavour because my primary eater was supposed to be an 18 mth old! For the adult portion, I put the steamed cake in the oven for a while to 'brown' the surface and get that baked taste!

When the little one woke up, I gave him some of the steamed version. He tasted it and one bite was more than enough. I tried to give him the baked version but he ppuuuuhhhh-ed it out.
He doesn't like cakes all that much actually, especially the plain kind like chiffon or butter cakes. But he did eat the blueberry yogurt cake that was nicely decorated and covered with cream (although we never gave him the cream)!

Sigh...so the rest of my plain raisin cake is now in a little tupperware in the fridge! I gave the rest away to my sister's friends!

I think I will wisely stick to my 'salty' baking next time.
Or bake biscuits, which at least I would love! I think my baked cakes are too usual for me to waste calories on!

So, what is my next experiment?
Who doesn't love "siu yoke" or roasted pork? But hubby will love me to bits if this experiment is successful, easy and done often!
I came upon the recipie that was easy peasy enough. But as usual my mind got the better of me and I started to get curious about this chinese wine...and also chinese vinegar.

Chinese wine is of course made from rice or millet. Also known as yellow wine or Shao Hsing/Shao Xing (given that since ancient times, the best and most famous rice wines have come from Shaoxing in the Zheijang province). It is made by a fermentation process involving yeast that transforms the sugars from glutinous rice into alcohol.

Rice vinegar on the other hand takes the fermentation process one step further, adding bacteria to turn the alcohol into an acid. There are 3 kinds of rice vinegar - black, red and white. And my interest in rice vinegar ends in that only the black is usually used in "chu keok cho" or black vinegar pig's trotter. I say my interest ends here becuase I do not intend to cook this dish as long as my inlaws are able to cook! :) I am that blessed!


But I will buy a bottle of white chinese vinegar and the best Chinese Rice Wine and start the experiment of roasted pork and then more.....Drunken Chicken etc.

YUMMY.....

14 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

oh, no photo of your cake? steamed vanilla cake sounds delicious. can't wait to see your next experiment :D

Baby Darren said...

not bad..not bad..a good start..i'm sure Christ will like ur cake one day. Maybe he has not acquire the taste of a plain cake yet...

And yes..please show us the result of the roasted pork...

LittleLamb said...

let me know ur siew yuk outcome. i m on trial #3 already.. :(

Jaanvi said...

hey, you should have put pic of your cake... but good going :)

Angeline said...

ok, the siu yok definitely act-up my saliva glands, but how come no photos of the cake????

HI said...

Eh, if your siew yok experiment comes out good, you better post the recipe, cos I NEED it!! Haven't had roast pork since I moved here!

Oh, and no the plain cake/food, babies and toddlers like bland food but Olivia loves flavourful food. She loves desserts: cake, ice cream. Looks like boyboy is one that like seasoned food.

Ann said...

Dear all....hahaha....will put a pic of my cake...the steamed one only though...coz I didn't cut the cake before I baked it!

LIttlelamb - trial #3? ooohhh....which recipie are you using? is it really that tough?

FAMILY FIRST said...

Aiyoh, another siew yoke recipe coming up!!! Good! I will try ..eventually .. when my oven is ready .. hahaha. Good luck!

mumsgather said...

The chinese rice wine pic you posted is the best brand in the market. Don't get anything else. Hehe.

4malmal said...

hmmm din know u can steam a cake...i will normally bake. can't wait to see the result of your roast pork...i tried once, it was horrendous, don't know whether i will be brave enough to try again.

Ann said...

Family First - given the family of bloggers we move around, perhaps I am using one receipie that you have also seen....reckon it willn ot be new! Hope it works though!

Mumsgather - yeah, I was told!!! Cost some RM20+ my FIL said!

4malmal - yeah you can steam a cake but it tastes like 'fatt kou' (the praying cake, you know?)I still brown my steamed cake a bit for my portion...nothing like the smell and taste of something baked!

LittleLamb said...

i'm using the 3d3n version.... i still cannot get the crispiness. the meat is fine..

Mummy Moon said...

Can't wait to see your steam cake pic :)... perhaps can post the recipe too.

coffeesncookies said...

hi.. stumbled on yr blog today. like the way you write. the chinese wine , there's lots of brands out there , some are imitation, get the best ard RM20 per bottle