Thursday, May 14, 2009

Recreate from what's at hand

I had 2 ounces of boyboy's left over milk from this morning, 4 stale pieces of bread and going to rot carrots. Hmmm...took out my mince pork, 2 eggs, ketchup, onions and celery.

With what was at hand, I made meatloaf!

Toasted the bread and crushed it in the same bag.
Cut off and cut up the carrots and onions and celery.
Thawed the mince pork - marinating it with dark soya sauce, light soya sauce and some sugar. Mixed the egg and the bread crumbs with it.

The last time I made this was while I was studying in Australia. I vaguely remember what poportion of what is required. And I was too lazy to look up any recipie....so, decided to go with instinct.

Whipped up 2 loafs of meatloaf.

1) Kid's meatloaf - using up boyboy's milk and bigger chunks of bread.

2) Adult meatoaf - added tomato ketchup, a mixture of Italian herbs, pepper and the rest of the breadcrumbs.


Meatloaf #1 held up better becuase of the bigger bread chunks. Meatloaf #2 tasted better becuase of the ketchup and the herbs. But it didn't hold up very well because I didn't have sufficient bread crumbs!
One 'dangerous' thing about baking is that you don't really know if the result is fit for dinner until it is ready and cooled down and tried.

6 comments:

Merryn said...

wah.. like dat oso can kah? never tried making meatloaf before but kudos to yours.. it looks nice. i normally disgard any leftover milk of ethan's...

mommy to chumsy said...

Delicious!!!!!!!!! I want an oven :)

LittleLamb said...

for me..left overs r for the dogs... maybe i should try ur idea...

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Ann, I have always love meatloaf.
Wow, you sure one creative lady.
Bet you open your fridge your mind works overtime what you going to do with those vegetables etc. Cook up a real storm for you loved ones.

Wayyyyy to go, Ann.
Have a pleasant weekend, and keep a song in your heart, Lee.

Angeline said...

aiyo aiyo aiyo!!!!
Salivating... my keyboard is wet now..
they look AWESOME!

andrewjune said...

wow! can i hv some?