Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Right brain, left brain

I was looking up the Shichida method of learning yesterday. Not sure what started it but got me surfing.

The Shichida method is really about maintaing the 'activity' within the right brain. When kids enter the schooling system, the teaching method activates the left brain (analytical part) and the right brain (slowly) becomes 'dead'!

So, this method actually trains the right brain to constantly be in use all of the time. And that is the gist of it really.

So, are there other ways to train the right brain? Of course?

But before that, do you know if you are a right brainer or a left brainer? Go google 'left brain and right brain' and chances are you will come across the site asking you if the dancer is turning clock wise or anti-clockwise. And you will also have some sites having questions for you to determine if you a right or left.

I am 50% right and 50% left (as indicated by tests I did in more than half of the sites). And the other sites indicated I was more left than right (of course given our schooling system, right?)

So, since the schools already 'activate' the left, how can we parents 'activate' the right?

Have to do more surfing here....but I came across this article. It made me laugh at the end.

Why? Because sometimes that is the way I think - I 'see' it!!! Do you?

6 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

ahhh...you are interested in the Shichida method? heard it's really really good :D I just read Dianne Craft's site. Her tips are very helpful. Thanks for sharing it :D

Sasha said...

u want or not i can pinjam u the book that they give during the parents review. Then u can better knowledge about it. Now they don't conduct reviews anymore.

HI said...

Well, I'm definitely left brain cos I don't have an ounce of creativity in me!

Children are naturally creative, so I guess I have to cultivate that in Olivia, which is a daunting task to me...hehe.

andrewjune said...

i guess i'm like you? 50% right and 50% left :-)

Angeline said...

*laugh*
Me?
I'm right in the middle!!!

Moomykin said...

Oh, I so see it now.

And I will confess that I am a poor speller because I never got trained to "see" the words. Hahaha...