Sunday, May 3, 2009

Somewhere in the depths lie good food

My mum sent me down to old town Ipoh in search for Mistress Lane and a particular coffee shop. According to her, this coffee shop is very popular and people from Penang even come all the way down to eat in this coffee shop.
It is a regular shop that only opens for lunch and closes ANY DAY they like, so the owner admits!
After getting the number, decided to walk in the lane back to the car. Got to say the lane is quite quaint. Wafts of operatic Chinese music coming frmo a house, inter-mingled with another house blasting English oldies, continuing with another house playing mahjong....

Birds and clothings perched on the same bamboo stick hung at the 2 windows across the lane.

All their doors open out into the lane, quite like the old Chinese serials I am hooked on to these days....
Anyone tried this place? Anyone been on this walk?

The shop is and the lane starts opposite Khong Heng, the famous old town coffee shop in Old Town, Ipoh. And opens up into another road which houses this new dinner place my mum told me to try.

She actually told me to eat the fried fish and one more anchovies dish...but I didn't know what it was called and the waiter also didn't know what I was saying.....so, we ended up with a usual fare instead.


The servings were big and the food was just fare. Not somewhere I would go again IF I had only a few eating days in Ipoh.

But there is ONE place I am dying to go!

Restoran LYJ in Kampung Sungai Baru Sungai Buloh. My colleague went there over the weekend and she ate the famous 'poon choy' and a chicken dish stuffed with lotus rice. And it also seems the pork knuckles is also great and there is a cold paku (local fern) dish with lime.

Anyone interested to join me? Anyone been there?

13 comments:

simon said...

ok, when are going to this LYJ place then? :)

reanaclaire said...

hey, i like to go if i could..haha.. have food will travel..
i tot this shop opp the khong heng is called koh kee? i better look around for this shop u mentioned.. sun yoon wah...

Wai Yin said...

celebrate your b'day there...

Angeline said...

Hmmm..."food was just fare"..
but the photos look so tempting... ok, looks can be deceiving then...

andrewjune said...

ummm...dont thk i know how to get there...
but i reckon all Ipoh's cantonese fodd are supposed to be rated GREAT?

mommy to chumsy said...

i haven't tried this coffee shop in ipoh before though I have stood at the same place and looked at the row of houses in your 2nd pic :D read about it in some blogs. may try this next time when i go back. was it packed? i usually makan in ipoh garden or old town ;)

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Ann, I've been down that lane before, an ahemm Ipoh lady took me there.
But not other one in S. Buloh.
Used to be a leper colony there where I used to buy plants cheap as people afaid to go there.
This back in the 60's.

Guess Malaysians always on the lookout for good makan places, ha ha.
For me, I eat to live, not live to eat, ha ha. Lee.

Ann said...

Simon, WY - must make it a SG afare...maybe in the absence of a stay overnight?

Reanaclaire - Koh Kee was the so called famous shop....Sun Yoon Wah was the shop at the end of the Mistress Lane, slightly to the left.

Angeline - you must be hungry girl!

Andrewjune - if ever you want to get there, let me know and I will draw you a map.

Mummy to Chumsy - I was at the shop at about 10+...coz I was also at old town for bfast...so it wasnt. But the last time I ate there, it was packed till tables in the lane itself!

Uncle Lee - ppl still go to Sg Buloh for plants...though you buying plants? Must be for some lady friend ya! :)

LittleLamb said...

u r right....good food..normally their location is far in or difficult to find.... ehehhe

Jaanvi said...

finding good places ot eat definitely need some research.

FAMILY FIRST said...

Seems like secret hideout! Happy eating! Wish I had the opportunity.

Sasha said...

oooo i wanna go la! but better u tah pau for me la next time k?

Moomykin said...

Waah! Sounds so interesting.

We must make a lunch date, ok?
:)