Thursday, May 7, 2009

Too much of a word is tiring

Talking about overusing a new word!!!
Christopher's new and MUCH overused word today is Nonononono....
I mean he has been saying it days before but today I think I have heard enough of it!

I went out with him today.

I took the necessary snacks - all his favourite ones...except the wheel chicken biscuit/junk food....which he had finished.

Decided to go to Ikano since there was a small playground there and more space to run around. Surprise surprise, he didn't want to play at the playground. Instead he wanted to sit in those (idiotic) moving stationery cars!! I indulged him in one and thus he wanted to sit in every one within eye sight.
(I was thinking should have brought him to Giant instead...sigh)

So, after a few rides.....I managed to persuade him to get down and see the 'wow-wow'.

OK enough...we walked to the Pet Shop. Had a gala time looking at the dogs. He got excited when I showed him the big fish and chased them in the semi-big aquarium.

Then we walked out.

And SHUCKS....there was this snack stall in front and it was selling his favourtie wheel biscuit.

A little ruckus here as I tried to persuade him to go into Popular bookstore while he adamantly shouted "nonononono" and pulling me to go buy his biscuits.

Who won? Neither.
I didn't get to go to Popular, he didn't get his biscuit.
We made our way to Ikea, all the way I was wondering how I would manage getting his food while still carrying him/holding his hand.

I arrived Ikea at 11.07 am. SHUCKS....the warm food will only be ready at 11.30 pm!

I was like COME ON !!! Sigh....

Decided to give boyboy some biscuits (Cocoa Crunch, what more!) to pass the time. Was debating now if I should go to Kluang Station to eat instead.

I hate it when I am indecisive....sigh...

SHUCKS...he passed the baby chairs stacked up in Ikea and insisted he wanted to SIT. I tried to persuade him to go somewhere else to eat.

I was given the "nonononononono" feedback.

OK...maybe then a little play time at the kids section would be easier to pass the time away.

"Nonononononnnoooooo....."

Who won? Both of us did (more him than me though).
He got his baby chair, I got my grown up chair. And he got some cocoa crunch.
I decided to bring him to Kluang Station to eat instead.

Took him off the baby chair and both of us walked down.

SHUCKS the staircase, why can't they have escalator?
So, we were walking along. I was glad I made up my mind when...
SHUCKS....boyboy spotted some IKEA toys downstairs on the way out . He pulled to play with them. I tucked him along to go "mummm,mummm".

"Nononononono......"

Who won? Boyboy of course.
Sigh....a little play time will not hurt...and after that I could go back to Ikea to eat.

Now, you all must be wondering why my obsession with eating in Ikea.
1) He loves the fries (and meatballs) there. And they are the big thick kind, not the overfried McD kind.
2) He has his own plate and cutlery there.
3) Nice place to wash up after eating
4) Noisy enough for boyboy to make noise without being noticeable
5) Spacious

So, true enough after playing, we headed back to Ikea.
23 minutes never felt so long.

Took him for a wash of hands.

He played with water, touched the hole where the water was going through, had to wash his hands again.

On the way out from the bathroom, it was "nononononono" again.

Why everything "nonononono" ? Hai.....
Lined up to get the food. The person in front of me was packing food - for a while kampung !!! So, you can imagine the wait and how impatient boyboy was getting. He kept pointing at the food and giong mummm, mummm.... and then pointing at the food that didn't require waiting when I kept telling him to WAIT !!!

Mummy's arms were aching. I was tired.

You may ask "Why no stroller?"
You see, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to cope with a running boy or carrying the boy AND a stroller or a stroller at the escalator.

We got out food - just one kids plate and one drink.

He insisted to put the plate in front of him...since it WAS a kid's plate.
He insisted he wanted to hold his own fork....since it WAS a kid's fork.

And any attempt I got from trying to cut up his food or feed him or EAT was given a "Nononononono....."

Sigh....he made a mess....

His clothes were all gravy laden, including his hair and including my shirt.
Thank God nothing on the floor though, if that is any consolation!

I let him sit through it all - the mess, the independence, whatever.
One thing I have learnt as a mum is to let things be and take it easy. Why bother cleaning up after every small mess when bigger mess is bound to happen. Just let them make a mess as much as they want and THEN clean them up when we can leave.

Oh....leaving.... Did I tell you eating is a nightmare now?
Christopher LOVES his plate and cutlery....no matter WHERE we go!
So, I don't only have the MESS that he makes to deal with...but the tantrum I get when I try to take away his plate and cutlery and clean him up after that!

Here, I admit, I got the STARES !!!
And I admit, it didn't bother me!
(Sigh....maybe a little.....)

Managed to get him up at last and into the bathroom for another cleaning session and change of clothes.

OK....HOME BOUND!!!

I parked in Tesco. If you purchase something, you get free parking.

On the way back, boyboy walked happily....ran a bit in fact and let me carry him when we reached the escalator.

So, I thought why not a bit in Tesco.

Put him in the cart and NOT 5 minutes, he was screaming to get out and be carried.

Who won? Neither.
He stayed in, I got my ear drums filled with screams and "nonononono...."

Greedy me....but I mean.....TOP was on offer and so was Darlie....and so was boyboy's milk powder.... Grabbed TOP and darlie...milk powder will be too much for me and headed to the counter.

It is a Friday you know....not many people in Tesco at that time. So boyboy's cries were actually echoing in the big warehouse!!!

I got the STARES. Truely can say I didn't BOTHER at all.
Paid up. Boyboy was attempting to climb down by now from the cart.
No choice, carried him out, backpack being, 4 kg of groceries in one hand and a 11 kg sleepy boy in another.

I felt my arms were running a marathon!!! It was close to breaking point. And so was my spirit.

Got another "nonononono...." when I strapped him in the car seat. And a death defying scream when I closed the car door on him.

He slept the minute the aircon came on. And I drove home in peace.
At 12.30, school was out and had to contend a jam on the way home.
Took a turn into my kampung road and for once had no patience whatsoever for the idiotic brat that turned out of the house on his motorcycle not wearing his helmet and yet not looking at the cars! Had no patience whatsoever for that car who hogged the lane by driving in the middle of it! Had no patience for the renovation truck that was parked semi blocking my gate.

Had no patience, no patience at all! Sigh....

I think I am not experienced enough a take-out-kid-alone mum!
SALUTE to all you mothers you handle your kids alone everyday. Salute salute indeed!

Right now....I need a bath, some ointment for my arm and some food!

By the way, did I mention, boyboy crashed into my lips last night and I have a swollen, cut bottom lip now? Which was 'glued' shut when I woke up this morning due to the dryness and the caked blood? Sigh....so glad hubby will be back later today.

Tired out.....

15 comments:

LittleLamb said...

U did really well le...
for me, i wont give in much! cos i m darn strict mummy out there.

btw, how come u strap him in front seat? isnt that dangerous?? n u not working today???? so nice to go kai-kai. i need a break soon....

Merryn said...

once a week i bring ethan out alone too, without stroller too. hahaha... when i m tired i 'dump' him into the trolley provided in da shopping mall... normally, i'll just follow ethan n walk aimlessly to let HIM enjoy the time. i wont schedule or aim to do anything n just go with the flow... oh yeah.. how come he can sit in the trolley? coz i spin the trolley around!!!! :D

Jaanvi said...

Too much of noooooooo..... :) but good momma son bonding time...

JLow said...

Hubby comes home, finds his son knocked out, finds wife with cut lip.

And gets a suspicious look on his face.

Right?

A gift from God said...

You need more practice! :)

HI said...

Aahh...the independent age. You still have a long way to go.

Hehe...bring the stroller next time cos at least you can put all your shopping barang in the stroller.

Oh yes, and a bib too. :)

mommy to chumsy said...

oh boy, you are so brave to go out with your boy...hehehe. if i were you, i'll be sooooo tired and cranky :D

Julie said...

Cheer up! You are doing great and you are patience with him. Just that you'd chosen the wrong place, I think. Ikea is not that baby friendly besides the kid's utensils. A little crowded and long queue to get a seat.

I wouldn't bring a stroller too when I'm out with Jonathan alone. I let him sit in the shopping trolley so when he ever decided to come down and walk, I can just leave the trolley at the side.

And yes, don't bother the STARES.

Same here...sometimes Jonathan don't let us take away his plates and spoon eventhough he has finished the food!

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Ann, can see you having fun, ha ha.
He sure going to wake up grumpy seeing his sleeping position, ha ha. Lee.

Angeline said...

Oh yes! Before the 'yes yes' comes, the "Noooooooo" are often louder and used more often... *laugh*

Oh dear! the lip thing sound really scary!

*Happy Mothers' Day to you*

hissychick said...

Toddlerhood only really begins when they let you know in no uncertain terms that they have a mind of their own LOL

We all have these kind of days, no matter how experienced or inexperienced we are. Pay no heed to the stares. Besides many of the looks are likely to be ones of "been there done that sympathy" :)

Moomykin said...

There are some fun days and some tough days.

Keep at it, mum.
:)
Happy Mothers' Day.

FAMILY FIRST said...

I have lost count how many times I got a cut lip and many almost-broken nose bones!!!! The boys these days are darn rough ya! Well, I experience the exact same thing when out shopping with the brat. And you are better than me, I have never ventured out shopping ALL ALONE with him! I dont wanna even try!

Cuddly Family said...

u did VERY well for your first time hun. Trust me the first time I went out with the twins, I also kelam kabut. I need that stroller tho. with more practice and more NO to Little c, it would get easier :) And then when he's three, toss him into the ikea playland and run away :D

I used to give the heavy bag of something for kids to hold. they cant get out and they feel like they are 'helping' somehow.

after a while, you learn when's the best time to go out etc, have a toy or two of your own and IGNORe the stares :) I still get them never mind my boys are much older. hmm mebbe it's cos they are so nuts :D ]

dont give up!! Keep it up k? HUGS

Looney Bin said...

Hi I'm Zaydeen's mom from Bouncy Babes. I truly truly know what you were going through because I experience that ALL the time when I go out with the kiddo. In fact, I'm so tired of all the fuss and the tantrums that I just rather not go shopping nowadays especially with those killer stares from other non-baby friendly adults. I'm just praying this is a phase that will be over soon!!! Btw, I get the same bloody knocked up lips too....hahaha...so I guess everyone experience the same thing. Maybe that is comfort enough to know? Sigh~~