Monday, June 22, 2009

Cooking and feeding a 21 month old

Since Christopher started school, giving him a proper dinner has become my responsibility. Perviously at the babysitter, he already has a substantial bowl of porridge at 4+ pm followed by milk at 5+ pm and some biscuits. So by the time he gets back, I just need to give him some fruits and a little bit to eat, just so he can sit with us for dinner as well.

It helps that my boss has asked me to clear up some leave, my contract is fast expiring and my accummulated 49 days is facing the prospect of being burned away. So, I am on half day the rest of June.

Which leaves me with more time than ever to cook up 2-3 'fancy' dishes to suit my toddler's palate.

Yesterday though when I was peeling a potato to make some ABC soup, I peeled off a chunk of flesh of my second finger too! And becuase it was a chunk of flesh and not just skin, it bled profusely for a good 10 minutes. No more heavy cooking after which. It was simply impossible to do anything right with one injured, sore finger.

So, I did what I can with the carrot and the other potatoes, the tomato and onion and threw some mince inside as well. Originally I had wanted to marinate the mince and make meat balls with them....but...

Could it be that boyboy was not that hungry? Or that a 'simply' put together dish didn't sit right by him? Or could it be due to the lack of rice, being replaced by potatoes?

He was so uncooperative during dinner. 20% food was on the floor, 60% went into his mouth (given) and 20% went into the fridge.

And the funny thing about it all was that each time I 'screamed' at the mess he just made, he would look at me, be good for like 4 seconds and then do it all over again.

When I screamed for him to pay attention to what he was doing with his fork, he stopped, looked at me and the next few bites actually went neatly from his plate into his mouth.

Hubby came back half way to see a mad woman and a bewildred son! hahaha....

Told hubby....I think I am losing it. Not 10 minutes into eating, and I am already yelling at him at the top of my voice!

The thing is that in between bites, this son of mine wants to find something to do with the cutlery. He doesnt want to let it go....so he ends up moving it around the plate shoving everything everywhere. So....does that mean I got to make the food such that he doesn't have to bite that long?

Bet your kid doesn't create such a mess during meals. I have to wipe the floor, change his clothing and give him a bathe after every messy meal.

But there are good days, rare but it exists. I have to give him that. He can do it well if he wants to. When mischief is far from his mind.

14 comments:

Cuddly Family said...

sounds sooo familar :) it still happens. its so frustrating!!

they still make a mess LOL but at least they help me in the kitchen (close one eye lor)

Shireen Loh said...

I am wondering when will the spills ends? My girl is into chopsticks now *slaps forehead* and not to say she can pick anythng up with it..O_O

For my little gal - Breanna said...

Ann.. I don't think you are the only one facing this... keep cool ya ;)

little prince's mummy said...

Same here...... what else can we do.. but continue to handle this?

Julie said...

I faced that too when Jonathan is not in a good mood or just woke up from nap. There was once both of us refused to give in so I leave him on his high chair facing the wall for about 5 minutes. He cooled down but still a little sobbing and obediently finish up his meal.

And sometimes you need a man to handle the situation of an angry woman with a crying baby. :)

hissychick said...

Hope your finger is better. Ouch!

As for boyboy...sounds like a typical toddler to me. You should see what E does at mealtime LOL

Baby Darren said...

oh..i can feel the pain when u mentioned about peeling off your "flesh"...It's definitely not easy to do anything with a sore finger like this...

I guess it is very likely your recently packed routine caused you to lose your cool and patience. It's never easy to juggle so many things in a day. I do respect your dedication and ability to manage everything from 5am till late night.

Hopefully with the half day off everyday, you'll gain back some personal time and extra hrs to rest and relax.

About Christ eating habit, maybe u can try letting him watch his fav cartoon while feeding him? It will distract their attention on the food and create less mess. Another way if he wants to play with the utensils, u can give him another plate and set of spoon, then u put "some" of the rice for him to "play". At least u are controlling the mess he is creating.

LittleLamb said...

oh well i cant comment much cos 90% of the time, philip is feed by the maid, not me. But at times, I can sense the maid loosing her cool cos philip does mess up or does things his ways. Anyway Philip is better now cos i m strict. i do it the hitler style :(

no worries. take it easy. do be mang chang ok. u hv been bless by now working half days... its like a dream to me..

Jaanvi said...

Oh c'mon, its the same story everywhere... It is always difficult to make them eat...

mommy to chumsy said...

ouch! must have hurt eh? I hate getting the skin of my fingers peeled off.

One of the most frustrating things about parenting is getting your child to eat properly. No mess and finish the meal in a jiffy :D When it comes to eating, I wish Ashley is older and more independent :D Hang in there mommy :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

How is your finger now? I have cut my fingers too when I am cooking. So I know the pain. Take care ya.

At least Christopher knows how to self feeding when he wants to. I have yet to let Sarah start it. hehe.

Looney Bin said...

Ann, sorry but I really had to laugh when I read your post. I totally can imagine the scene coz Zaydeen behaves even worse that Christopher. Not only does she want to feed herself, she uses the utensils to play with the food and splash them at me, then puts her fingers into the food and smudge anyone near her and if that's not enough, she even enjoys chewing then spitting out her food. Oh..how frustrating it can be to feed a 2 year old :(
I'm also the mad woman who's screaming and shouting my lungs out while she just giggles away.
When will this pass..sigh~~

Moomykin said...

Hope your finger is better by now. That sounded really painful. Ouchie.

As for food all over the floor, one lady told me before that they place newspaper all over under the highchair and table to make it easier to clean up. Someone even used a shower curtain, how about that?
:D

And yes, my boys also have food accidents all the time, and they have also always refused the bib.
:(

lyncpf513 said...

Oh... my boy make huge mess when he self feed.... But I was told it's the phase they need to go thru.. how long it wil last? I have to idea, I usually let him play for a while(self feed) and when i am done eating, I will then take over n feed him...