Thursday, June 18, 2009

It has (only) been 1 week

Everyday when I pick Christopher up from nursery, the principal gives me an update on how he has been.

And so.....yes....they are still trying to figure out what makes him so upset.

I was told yesterday that when the parents came to pick up the kids at 12+ (kids not joining day care), he started crying and pointing towards the gate.
He wants to go home too.

And it would seem that my son is quite the loner. He doesn't seem to like big crowds and the heightened noise level. Not that he is intimidated by them....he just doesn't like them. Well, I shouldnt be surprised considering he pulls me to get out of Sunday School even. But with a little coaxing to play with his friends he usually manages to stay.

I am not 'weakened' by these 'negative' reports I am hearing. In fact I find it interesting to know my son's character better and how I can help him adjust. Perhaps he is an introvert like me. I hate big crowds too and would seek only 1/2 persons to talk to in a party.

BUT....on the high note, Christopher is pouring out 2-3 word sentences to me at amazing speed. I am not sure if he has picked it up from there or that it was in his brain all this while. I am not sure if it is becuase he is at this age of wanting to learn badly and learning so quickly. But.....

"Eat. eat" (instead of mummm,mummm)
"Sit here. Eat"
"Fall...pain pain" (instead of "pom" and action of hand knocking his head)

And some he has been throwing at me for a loooonnnnngggg while now:
"What is this?"
"I want this."

I am glad Christopher is in school. I don't think adjusting will be a long term issue. It is something he will have to learn to deal with sooner or later. And I think he is NOT too young to learn now.

But then, I come from a school of hard-knocks. The harder something is, the harder I will attempt a go at it. Of course, both of us are working full time without our parents to help.....so we really don't have a choice either.

11 comments:

reanaclaire said...

yeah, we have no choice, kids just have to get adjusted but dont worry, they will be fine... its just a matter of time..
i remember my nephew who used to hide behind his mama whenever visitors came to his house and cried too when we talked to him... and now... he is just 4 and very talkative too ever since he attended school 2 years ago...
so much difference... so i believe kids will get adjusted in no time...

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Ann, one day, someday you'll sit back and laugh...
and don't forget....one day there'll be grand kids to look after, ha ha.
Have a great weekend, Lee.

mommy to chumsy said...

ahhh...in just 1 week, his speech has improved? Bravo :D It always take a while to get used to the new environment :)

FAMILY FIRST said...

i really dont know how to cope when mine goes in Jan. Eh, so lucky you, finish work at 3!!!! Oh gosh, how are we going to cope when I finish work at 7!!!

FAMILY FIRST said...

And can you tell me more abt the training pants ... where to buy and how it works to "train"?

Jaanvi said...

ya right.. adjusting won't be a long term problem... ya you are left with no choice... either you leave job like I did or take external help... It is a matter of choices and personal situations...
just don't worry... he will soon be accustomed to the whole schedule.

LittleLamb said...

Christopher just 1 or 2 months older than Philip..but overall, Chris is much more advance le... I am very very happy n proud of ur kid.. keep it up..

Julie said...

They need time to adjust. He will be ok soon. I bet soon he can't wait to go to school each morning.

Jonathan had a similar character as what you described Christopher here. He dislike the time of P&W in church. I suspected it is because of the loud music and everyone were standing. Yeah, he is like me too...introvert and shy.

Angeline said...

let it flow...
some kids adapt faster and some slower....
I think you know ah boy pretty well... characters of parents can be hereditary... so its just natural that he is behaving like this, if you were like that too....

anyhow, from this post, I know you are taking this on a light note, which is good, cos stressing yourself too much to make him 'fit in' is just asking for trouble. It may backfire....

Looney Bin said...

Don't worry Ann, I think ah boy will get used to it soon. My girl started school wonderfully the 1st week but 2nd week onwards she is crying that she don't wanna go to school. Guess we just have to keep helping them to adapt.

Moomykin said...

it's just so wonderful when they start talking... then they never stop talking!!!
hahaha...

Hope little Christopher will get use to being in school soon.