Sunday, August 9, 2009

Brownie and Low-fat Lemon Yogurt Cake

2 weeks ago....baked brownies. Not becuase I wanted to bake brownies, but because I had some condensed milk in the fridge that I wanted to use up.

As usual, I only vaguely followed the recipie. Bad habit!
It was hard to find this recipie since I had limited ingredients - i.e. I didn't have butter and didn't have baking soda.
Picture first

Ingredients

  • 2 cups choco graham crumbs (which I ommitted)
  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used my going to expire 3 in 1 milo)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk ( I used 3/5 of a can)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2cups semisweet choc chips (I ommitted)

Steps

  • Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8x8" baking pan with nonstick foil.
  • In a large bowl, whisk graham cracker crumbs, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
  • In a smaller bowl, whisk condensed milk, egg and vanilla extract.
  • Add milk mixture to dry, stirring until combined.
  • Fold in 1 cup choco chips. Pour into pan and smoothen
  • Bake 20-25 min until center comes out clean with toothpick.
  • Spread i cup choc chips on top while it is still hot.
  • Cover with foil for 5 min. Spread choc chip to form frosting.
  • Cut into bars to serve.

Well....mine was cut into bars alright. Sis said it was GREAT but then she was fasting and eating only occasionally. Reckon all food tastes really good at this stage. Hubby says it was nicest when it was still warm from the oven....eaten with vanilla ice cream....mmmm...

Reckon anything with chocolate, even though it was only Milo would taste alright. Even boyboy ate a little bit.

BUT....I tell you this other cake I baked last weekend was a KILLER! It was polished up in 2 days!!! It helped that my parents were in town and eating it!! :) But seriously, this cake is a KEEPER!!! Even I LOVE IT!

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 kosher salt
  • 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used the plain Nestle kind)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 whole large egg and 3 large egg white
  • 2 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup veg oil

Glaze (I omitted)

  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Limoncello (optional)

Steps

  • Preheat oven to 350F. LIne loaf tin with parchment paper.
  • Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl.
  • Mix yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla in another bigger bowl.
  • Add dry ingredients to wet and whisk together.
  • Fold veg oil into batter
  • Pour into pan and bake 50min-1 hour
  • Cool for 10 min
  • Combine glaze and pour on warm cake

The bottom part of the cake was a bit too moist....but this was because I was trying to be 'smart' and added the juice of 1 lemon as well. Reason being I didn't have a zest grater and grating 1 lemon zest was an accident prone act for me!

Also, I used my conventional oven for the first time instead of my toaster oven, which I had used for my brownies earlier. Was too lazy to take the instruction book out of the box earlier!!! Hai.....And now since I know how to use it, have decided to be more ambitious. Bought my baking soda already since alot of recipies call for it.

Have to visit Merryn to see how to stop the top part of the cake from breaking now. And next....going to bake some cookies. Really need to start following recipies and not being too clever!!! Have to practice enough so that next year, I can bake some CNY cookies!

14 comments:

reanaclaire said...

hi Ju Ann, morning morning i see delicious recipes.. :) Happy baking!

eugene said...

Hi, Ann, can share some secret recipes you have for dinner, 1 soup, i vegi, and all...


simple ones lah, i want to start cooking again,,,,

take care now,, remember yo lol

Merryn said...

Ann here is the link for the tips from myLotters on how to prevent your cake from cracking.

http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/2061178.aspx

Yours looks good. Maybe next time you should just follow the recipe 100%. Hahahhahaa... But still, the cake looks good!

Julie said...

So you are into baking now? Maybe can get prepared for Christopher's 2 yo birthday?

Cakes don't have to look good as long as it tasted good. If it don't look good, just paint it with creams. :P

Shue said...

hello Ann,

yep..am loving twilights saga.
do u have the e-book? yes, i'd love to have it. thanks

btw, your cakes looks yummy.

shue

Cynthia said...

must try this too one day... looks good ya.. :) must be tasted yummy!

Moomykin said...

Good that youare getting into the kitchen and involving the oven.
:)

What I do is...

copy and paste recipes I see that are nice and interesting and
E-mail it to my sis and get her to try. Hahaha!!

I know... it's cheating, but it's the way I'll go till I have a proper oven and when my boys are older... maybe.

MeRy said...

Thnaks for sharing the recipes....Looks yummy.

mumsgather said...

The lemon-yoghurt one looks and sounds yummy. Eh, can share how you made with your oven toaster ah because that is all the oven that I have at home wor. What do you do to your oven toaster when the recipe calls for you to preheat the oven to 350F like in your recipe?

mommy to chumsy said...

oh man..you made me drool. the brownies and the cake look so yummy :) good job, Ann.

andrewjune said...

wow now you're a bkaing pro as well! keep it up!
would love to taste your CNY cookies then...

well done!

Debbie Y said...

hmmm....looks yummy!! :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Low Fat Yogurt Cake? I have baked twice and it really taste good! My husband and I love it a lot.

Sweet Bits n Bites said...

yummy .... the photos really reminds me of our uni days ...your pinwheel cookies... :)one of your master piece(s).

about the dome n crack... i think it is quite common to have a slight crack especially when we r baking with a loaf pan.

when this happened, i will usually b looking at :
1. suggested temperature of 350F, in celcius aprox 175C ,depending on individual oven, usually is quite safe to lower it down to 160C, but preferably not lower than that, bcz 150c is considered as cold oven or some call it as slow oven. at cold/slow oven, some cake might not rise accordingly (depending on recipe), causing cake to b densed and flat. at 160C, moderate oven, cake will rise accordingly, but it does a longer while to bake the cake well.
2. the baking pan, stainless steel type( very shinny and reflective type) and none stick baking loaf pan are very sentitive towards d oven temperature. personally i prefer aluminium type, as the distribution of heat is more even.
3. i learned this from a chef, his tip is simple,after making sure tht the temperature is right, just right bfore placing the loaf pan into the oven, use your spatula to draw a line, right in the middle of the loaf pan, this will create a deep indent/well. This tip really works especially if u r baking a heavy cake like fruit cake. The cake will turn out to b perfect.
4. one more resort, trim the dome/crack off, if there's a need. Especially, if u plan to ice the cake, if not just turn it over, simple and fast.

ganbatte kudasai !!