Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Nut(s) over mooncake

I'm a little excited.

Partly because my colleague is already raving over Yong Sheng's White Lotus Paste Moon Cake (claims to be sugar free). She was saying that in one sitting, she could eat half this mooncake coz it was not that sweet and not oily!


I kinda like mooncakes, perhaps because it only comes out once a year. And you really can't eat alot, so usually in total, I only manage a quarter of 2-3 varieties.

Since I started working, I make it a point to get mooncakes for my parents every year. I used to get it from a shop in Old Town Ipoh (can't remember the name at this moment). The shop has been in existence for many generations and this the mooncake recipie is years old.

The reason why I only get it from this shop is because the Nuts Mooncake has the right amount of meat, nuts and 'tung kua' (candied melon) to suit my dad's taste. And my mum is not a big fan of mooncake so she goes for the traditional, homemade, cheaper kind.

This year, my excitement is intensified by the fact that my little one is not too little to participate. I wanted to get him a lantern but my mum 'begged' me to give her something FUN to buy. Hai....

We will get some mooncake, play with his lantern(s) and hopefully spot the moon too!

This year Mooncake Festival falls on the 3rd October. And my parents will be in KL 2 weeks before that coz of the multiple weddings and school closure during Raya.

So....this means we will nto be able to buy the mooncakes from Ipoh anymore! Anyone know where to get GOOD nut mooncakes in KL? I heard there is a stall (already in their 3rd generation) in a small town called "Hakk Tan San" (black carbon hill) somewhere on the outskirts of KL that sells heavenly mooncakes. Any idea? Else where do you get your mooncake?

11 comments:

reanaclaire said...

hi Ju Ann, u mentioned one shop selling moon cake in old town.. is it Hoong Toh Restaurant? but this restaurant looks authentic one..marble tables and wooden chairs, right? i m not a fan of mooncakes but i like those with nuts...

mumsgather said...

I differ. I HATE nuts mooncakes. Hahaha.

mommy to chumsy said...

i love mooncakes but not the ones with nuts :D my all time fav is the Shanghai mooncakes and I love collecting the fancy boxes they come in now.

Oh...you could try Oversea Restaurant's mooncakes. They originated from ipoh ;)

eugene said...

So sorry Ann,i dont like moon cakes that makes me a non advice giver.

looking at the picture in your post kind of reminds me of how time flies, and on saving (previous post) i can identify with you,my wife and i can save well,but now we are thinking of lavishing ourselves a little and for the children as well..

love to be here and appreciate you being my cyber bloggie, if you happen to be in Penang, i belanja makan cendol,, not moon cake.lol

Merryn said...

One thing I know, mooncakes are getting rather expensive this days!

Cynthia said...

Hi Ann..

I am selling mooncake this year.. but the nut mooncake I make is only nuts and no meat and yolk.. If you are keen to try, let me know.. I have been baking for own consumption, relative and friends over the last 20 years, but this year, due to circumstances change, I got to sell some to earn some income.. :D

Visit http://cynselfblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/homemade-mooncake-for-sale.html

Angeline said...

Aaawww... too bad I don't live in KL, so can't advise.

But I LOVE MOONCAKES!!!
The double egg yolk is my FAVOURITE!!!
hmmm... but I wonder if my liver can take it or not, now that its in such a bad state... *deep sigh*

LittleLamb said...

sorry cant help cos i m not so crazy about mooncake... but i was thinking to help out Cynthia..so i will ask her to custom make some for me.

andrewjune said...

i thought you're blogging about how you made mooncakes hehehe...
anyway, i LOVE mooncakes as well!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I was just about to let you know that Cynthia is selling moon cake and I am getting the nut moon cakes from her this year.

You like nut moon cake? Hmm...I prefer the normal lotus paste moon cake.

Julie said...

I love all types of mooncakes except the nut. Find it sweet. Those with egg yolk is the best!