Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wesak weekend

We had planned a marvelous time of swimming, beach and food for our Wesak weekend. Had booked Friday night at Parkroyal Penang stopping by in Ipoh to drop off and pick up Caylee with my parents. Also, I had visiting obligations to 'show' Caylee to my grandma.

We left on Thursday evening to Ipoh. Traffic was ok. Arrived in just over 2 hours. Boyboy had to sit alone in front for the first time and he was terribly grouchy at the end of the trip. Partly because he had to be confined in the seat, he couldn't sleep and he didnt have mummy to entertain him. We didn't talk to him and he soon snapped out of it.

Caylee is not a 'car baby'! She frowns at each jolt and whenever the sun shines on her eye and then doesn't! She requires alot of security in that she will wave her hands in the air looking for something to grasp on which most of the time will be my finger. And if I carry her, she will grab on to my collar.

When we reached Ipoh, fed boyboy his dinner, comforted Caylee and then I took hubby out for dinner. Took him to 'Tong Sui Kai' since he had never been. Not sure if it was due to tommorrow being Wesak or that it was Thursday but the number of stalls in Tong Sui Kai sure has dwindled. And the food was not that great.

We took off on Friday morning to Penang. Boyboy was very excited since he has been looking forward to this trip for AGES !!! He fell asleep due to his flu meds not long after we hit the road. Christopher is a 'car baby'!

We created an atmosphere of excitement when we reached Penang. He was oohh and aaahhh when we crossed the bridge. We were counting boats! I pointed to the buildings in Penang and told him that was Penang. But the concept of an island is still new to him and he kept asking me "Where? Penang? Where?"

We went for lunch in Lorong Selamat. Hubby wanted his curry mee and ice kacang. And I well only wanted something that was not spicy or fried. I was still nursing a cough and flu and as I earlier learnt - I cannot afford to be ill.

Shared a Kuey Teow Theng with boyboy for which he ate 3 quarts of it. Had some lobak as well.

We then decided to go to a shopping complex to walk around since it was only 12 pm. BUT holy moly....it was Wesak Day and the trafiic was TERRIBLE !!!! In the end after buying our Tau Sar Peah, we crawled our way out of town and headed to the hotel.

Our room was not ready since we wanted a King Bed. And Christopher having already spotted the pool was nagging me to go swimming. So, after our Welcome Drinks, we changed and went for a dip in the pool.

Sigh Sigh Sigh......being sick and only partly alert when I was packing, I forgot to bring boyboy's float! Which was a real pity becuase he is getting brave in the pool and would always ask me to move faster in the bigger pool when I have to carry him OR walk away by himself when he is in the kids pool.

As a result, he slipped two times in the kids pool swallowing several mounthfuls of water! But he was still alright after that. No particular fear and kept on playing.

HOWEVER....the shower in the room was another question. Even when I turned the tap to cool, the water came out HOT !!! And after the coolness of the room, the HOT was even HOTTER !!! Christopher SCREAMED !!! Poor fella.

After that whenever we went into the bathroom, he would tell me "Mummy, don't want that one (pointing to the shower!)." and
"This one ok (pointing to the hair dryer)."

I blew dry his hair to stop his flu from becoming worse. And yes, he was still having his runny nose. But what to do, can't go to the hotel and not swim especially since he has been waiting to go swimming in Penang for so long.

In the evening, we went to Swatow Lane for tea. Christopher fell asleep but woke up when I carried him out of the car. And half asleep, he told me "Mummy, I want noodle!" He ate half a wan tan mee at 4 pm while hubby enjoyed his asam laksa.

We then went to visit hubby's cousin's wife who just gave birth. Visited her in the confinement centre and I was like WOW, this looks like a hospital. And AAAHhh the smell of the food is familiar. And whew...I am so DONE with all this! :)

Had Fried Oyster for dinner. Then headed to Ferringhi Night Market.
Sad to say this was the highlight of my trip. Bought some handbag hooks which cost like 3-5 times more in KL. Also bought some shows. At RM4 a disk...well....you don't get that in KL!

Tucked in early at 10.30 pm worried. Called home and heard Caylee screaming! Sigh.

The next morning, had breakfast in the hotel. And decided to spend the morning at the beach. BUT lo behold our little boy decided enough of WATER!!! He refused to go to the water edge and screamed at us to go back!!! In fact he walked back himself even though hubby and I were walking away at the water edge. FIRST TIME!!!

Sigh....never mind.....decided to just go back to the room and chill. Let him play in the tub instead.

We left earlier than hubby would have wanted. Checked out at 11 am partly coz I was worried about my parents coping with girl girl. Partly coz I had alot to do in Ipoh without taking girl girl out.

Took hubby to eat Ipoh curry mee (at Yee Fatt, opp MGS) because he has been saying he has never tried it.

Traffic back to KL on Sun evening was terrible. Took 3 hours + for us to reach home. Caylee was not sleeping again. Christopher insisted he wanted to sleep in my arms. I literally had my arms full.

Well....our last holiday for quite a while. Next time we have a holiday both kids will be with us. And Christopher has to sit by himself at all cost!

5 comments:

andrewjune said...

hey didnt know you were in pg last weekend...yes, the traffic was real bad last friday!!!
you seem to know where are the best hawker food at :)

glad you enjoyed the feringghi market! sometimes we get rm 3 per disc!

did you guys drop by hard rock hotel? it's SO nearby!

smallkucing said...

next holiday will be much better. Christopher would have got use to sitting in front alone

mommy to chumsy said...

glad that you are better now and even went for a short break :D so did your hubs enjoy the yee fatt curry noodles? i haven't been to tong sui kai for so many years already :(

Poh Nee said...

next, we go SG retreat together! hee hee hee

Mummy Gwen said...

Next holiday the kids are older and easier to manage. Your holiday getaway was quite fruitful ler coz you all savoured so many nice food. *envy*