Monday, July 26, 2010

Disciplining is a hard lesson to learn

I find I am frequently doing this since my son turned 2.

In the late of the night, I would stroke his hair and pray for him. And pray for myself that I would have the wisdom to bring him up to be a sensible boy, a lovable boy and most importantly a boy after the heart of our Father.

It always happens in the late of the night. Mostly coz I cannot fall asleep after (usually) an incident that had just happened before we retired for bed.

Last night, it was because I whacked him for shouting back at me when I told him to pick up his toys. He has been very rude for the pass few days and last night was the final warning. Then he shouted back at me that he doesn't want me anymore and that he wants his grandparents. For which I nearly threw him out of the door to go look for his grandparents.

Of course he cried. And of course he put away his toys while crying. And of course after that I hugged him and spend some time with him.

But then when it was time to sleep, he sat in the corner sulking, asking me to go away coz I always scold him. He wants daddy to put him to bed. For which of course I didn't give in. And he grudgingly brushed his teeth and changed into his PJs at my count of 3. He fell asleep by himself while I was brushing my teeth.

With the 2 kids asleep, hubby and I discussed the best way to discipline our son. It is harder coz with Caylee around, we cannot always give him the attention he desires. Yet, that isn't an excuse for shouting back at his parents.

And Caylee reacts very badly to loud voices or to her kor kor crying. She will also cry in empathy until she is out of breath.

Sometime when it happens and someone else is dealing with Caylee, I can at least look him in the eye and talk quietly but sternly to him until he does what is requried of him.

But when I am holding Caylee, and the situation is in dire need of remedy and he totally ignores me and shouts back at me.....oooohhhhh.....

I am thinking in my head consistency in punishment and not emotional punishment. But sometimes it is so hard not to react when both kids push you to the limit, and you are all alone, to reign in that irritation threatening to explode in your face.

Oh Lord!
Give me wisdom.
Give me patience.
Give me understanding.

13 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

it's the phase that each kid goes through. very frustrating for the parents when kids do that. try to stay calm and explain to him that you feel sad because of his actions :)

lyncpf513 said...

Ann, i struggle in that department too... with 2 around, raelly not easy to stay cool all the time, and reasons to them till they obey all the time. it's not easy, at least not easy for me....

Irene said...

Hi, thanks for popping by my blog. I feel for you, coz I go through this too... it's duty and guilt and love and all these mixed feelings in disciplining a child.

How old is your son, btw?

mNhL said...

Handling 2 is not easy at all. It is just a pharse. Soon, when your son grows up a little, he will change. It will be easier to handle than. Just hang on there. ;D

Mummy Gwen said...

I do that too. It's never easy to discipline the kids.

Dora said...

All you need is gotta be patient. When your boy grows older, things will be easier 'coz now he may think you only concentrate the little baby but not him anymore... cheers :-)

Dora said...

Btw, I have an award for u in case u do not notice my message to u earlier. check this out http://www.zooropazoo.com/?p=818 thank you!

smallkucing said...

hope you will find a way to deal with him. Cant advise you as am in the dark too

Shireen Loh said...

I know how you feel Ann!! **hugs**

Mummy Moon said...

Yes, disciplining is a hard lesson to learn :(

Sometimes kids can drive us up to the wall! Can parents train and discipline the kids without any scolds and whack?
I want to learn ...

LittleLamb said...

I always pray for wisdom!

For me, I discipline n use the rotan. Maybe for your case, you or hubs need to decide who is the disciplinarian in the house. One that discipline n the other will be the emo-pillow..the reasoning.

Baby Darren said...

I was about to blog on the same topic too...I do have the same problem too. Managing 2 kids is really not easy.

andrewjune said...

I'm having the same problem, even only with1 child hahaha...
I am always the bad one and hubby is always the good one...no prize for guessing who's her fav... Hah!