Saturday, July 3, 2010

What do you read for?

Which is of more importance to you? The plot or the use of words?

I got to admit that most of the time I read books because of their story line. After all when deciding which book to purchase, we only can rely on the sypnosis lying somewhere in the book.

However, when a book reaches my hand, I seldom neglect it merely because the sypnosis isn't that intriguing.

So, when my sister gave me this book - The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende, I read it with an open mind.

And for once, I must say the plot isn't anything to shout about but Allende writes in the most poignant way, making me sad when I reached the last page.

And becuase I am not reading to chase the plot, I read each word patiently. I let the words roll in my head. New words stick to my mind as I commit them to memory of usage.

And the way she ends is very much how I love to end all my stories as well. Rounded.

So, next time you see a book by Allende, do pick it up for a read. I felt so much more enriched in my word bank and so much more in touch with emotions before this undescribable.

Can't wait to buy more of her books.....

7 comments:

smallkucing said...

yes..her books are very good. Makes you "think, think, think" . BX have her books at RM9-90. Bought one the other day. Forgotten the title. Yet to read :D

Dora said...

Ok may take a look at this book recommended but my normal read will be autobiography & the thriller. Anyway, it's good to add-in varieties! hehehe...

Mummy Gwen said...

I seldom read. *paiseh* Thanks for the recommendation. :)

LittleLamb said...

i like to read true life a/c like testimonies, life experiences.. so mostly Christian based.

Jaanvi said...

I have also read this book and found it very interesting.. but these kind of books take my attention only when I am in a laid back mode...

Jen Cheung said...

hahaha. what do I read for? I hardly read books but I love to read blogs of other people :) hehee.

have a fabulous day!

jen

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can check out The House of The Spirits if time permits?

I quite enjoyed the movie version (being young and impressionable then)...it's slightly dreamy and comprise a star-studded cast..

Have a blessed day (",)