Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Eating Breakfast

Christopher had a bout of tummy flu this pass weekend. He was puking and purging badly on Friday night and his purging is just about ending now.

His tummy flu didn't get passed around this time coz we took all the necessary precautions. But the 'flu' did and I am having such a bad case of congestion.

Oh well.....

So, his tummy flu resulted in him having tummy aches alot. Most of the time when we are trying to get some warm food into his system. So much so he now does not give some biscuits a second look coz he says "the biscuits cause him to have tummy ache".

My mum is down to help since hubby is away (again) to KK. And his lack of appetite is depressing my mum.

Mummy (as in me) doens't care to coax them to eat. You either eat or go hungry. And stop that whinning or you will get a beating! And no biscuits or junk food. Are you mad? And no sweets either.

You get the gist of how it is with me.

But it's a different case for grandma! She coaxes him, negotiates with him and thinks real hard what she can cook for him.

But seems the table has turned around. Yesterday I came back from work and asked my mum what Christopher had today. She kinda looked at me sheepishly (hmm...something is so up!) and told me he had potato chips for breakfast!

hahahaha....gosh.....

Anything to get his weight back up. As long as he eats right?

But she did try to make things balance out by boiling him some herbal drink after that and making him drink one whole cup.

Later that night she was nagging me about the whole issue of making him eat a normal breakfast. Her point mainly is about how he will be able to concentrate in school (when he turns 7, that is) when he does not have breakfast? And it's not a matter of worrying about it when he turns 6 coz having breakfast is a routine and has to be built from young.

Now, the trouble is my son is not really a 'sweet' eater (except when it comes to sweets). So bread and kaya/jam/peanut butter does not work. He would take the occasional sweet cereal or cookies but it cannot be a daily affair. So far his weekend breakfast has been fried eggs.

Right now I don't feel it's much of a big issue coz he takes his milk (which he also hates and has to be forced to drink) in school and haves some food by 10 am. And I am not the one taking care of him in the morning so hubby has to support me 100% on this since the effort has to come from him. But it is true, the eating breakfast routine has to be cultivated soon.

Do your kids eat breakfast? What is the world do you feed them?

19 comments:

mNhL said...

No...actually both kids only drink milk. Even during Sunday (our off day) they drink milk and I will feed them early lunch (around 10 plus). I can't seems to find what type of breakfast suit the little one.

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Milk followed by cereal with milk/ scambled eggs on toast/ pancakes with banana/ muffins or cakes/ paus. They vary and depends on what I can B-U-Y! hahahahha (Thought i was so rajin right? NOPE!).

mumsgather said...

Just toasted bread and milk. :P

LittleLamb said...

Philip hunts for his own food. So I will put bread, biscuits, etc. Most time, he will go grab those junk food like chocolate, organic potatoe chips. I got those UHT mini milks..so he will serve himself or he will grab a yalukt/vitagen/cultured milk from the fridge..ALL BY HIMSELF..

cos me..i'm still sleeping.

Ponytail said...

breakfast for Zoe
weekday: bread (sometimes toasted), cheesedale cheese, laughing cow cheese, kaya, yougurt, milo, milk, biscuits and even chocolates...yikes!
weekend: a mixture of the above when we eat at home or nasi lemak is her fav when we eat out at mamak, fried noodles, roti pisang

hmm...all fattening food :p

smallkucing said...

me also at lost what to give him for breakfast...haiz...always cereal with half boiled eggs :(

Julie said...

Jonathan is not a breakfast fella. He didn't even want or ask for milk in the morning. That's why my MIL will prepare lunch early like 11+ and he will wallop the whole plate of rice/porridge.

I will still offer him breakfast but won't force him if he doesn't want to eat. I got nagged by my mom too for not giving/training him to have breakfast. To me, his weight gain and immune is ok so why want to stress up myself?

ShannonC. said...

i used to do that with rachel
just milk, and then 10am snacks in school

but now, have to crack head on what to give her... cuz reduced milk, and similar lar, rachel dun like kaya/jam, so spreading that on bread doesn't appeal her at all...

MeRy said...

My son only drink milk in the morning before goes for his nursery class and only around 9am,then he will eat solid food in school.
If weekend at home,then i will give him some bread around 9am too...then follow by lunch at 12pm.

lyncpf513 said...

both my boys eat porridge or oat in the morning. Oat usually with cheese, or fruits. porridge mainly is with vege, pumpkin or carrot or whatever i can find in the fridge.... I cook porridge or oat for it's easier to prepare(put in slow cooker and it will be cooked to very fine and creamy texture.) and it's more filling for them..
Now that Manfred is elder I do sometimes make scramble egg for him to go with toast or cheese..

lyncpf513 said...

and honestly, i get very stressed up if my boys dun take breakfast. cause i am breakfast person. So what i do is i bring them out for a short walk before giving them breakfast. so they have better appetite..

Mummy Moon said...

My two kids take milk as breakfast, hehe.. Then Yan Yan will have snack time in the school at 9.30 am.

Heng Heng will have some cheese , biscuits or bread for snack at home around 10am.. I dont know what breakfast to prepare for them early in the morning like 8am.. DOnt think they can eat that much with the sleepy eyes..

Irene said...

My kids eat their breakfast, I make it a point. They take either filling fruits like banana, or steam sweet corn, or biscuits, or cereals, or bread or plain porridge, or noodles (rarely) or nyonya kuih or ba chang.

No sweets for them also. My house policy is NEVER LEAVE HOUSE (in the morning) with an empty stomach. Hubs has been converted. ; )

Mummy Gwen said...

Gwen has her milk every morning upon waking. We have buffet breakfast every morning so I just feed her whatever I can find from the buffet spread. :)

mommy to chumsy said...

Ash eats a piece of bread in the morning at around 6.30am. Then milk at around 7.30am. She takes another piece of bread/cake at 9.30 in school. Since Christopher doesn't like sweet stuff, you can give him half boil eggs every morning? or steam fishballs? sausage?

Annie Q said...

My boys will have their morning milk before they go to school, then i will pack some bread or mini bun or cereal or muffin or cupcakes for their breakfast at school.

Weekend, sometime will bring them for roti canai or nasi lemak, or i will buy taufu fa or soya bean for them. They just love soya bean and taufu fa.

Shireen Loh said...

usually, it's milk. Then, toast or cereals (without the milk), cheese (lately only cos for a while, she hated cheese) and soft-boiled egg. The egg I try not to give everyday, maybe alternate or just 4 times a week. She will have her fruits late morning (when I am not lazy..hehehhe).

andrewjune said...

only milk.she refuses everything else in the morning...
but if she happens to be in a good mood that morning, she will hv anything we are having *wink*

coffeesncookies said...

mine takes milk only and she has a breakie ard 10am, i used to give her cookies but now I cut down to fruits only. if she eats too much during her breakie, she'll hv a problem finishing her lunch... and it goes on and on till dinner etc.. one whole cycle.
mine hates food and rather not eat. she'd be happy drinking milk only but we are trying to convert her. hard coz many food, she can't take due to her allergy.