Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Role Playing

My son is very much into role playing. Started when he was about 2 and a half. It can be irritating at times but useful too.

Irritating in that when he pretends to be the teacher, he will take his drum stick, pretending that it is a ruler and bang it on the floor asking us to tidy up. Which we roll our eyes and tell him that he made the mess, he tidy up. Mummy and daddy will just help you.

And when he pretends to be us, that's the worse! He will tell us "You naughty, I take the cane and beat you then you know. Want to be naughtyy some more?" For which I always end up telling him he cannot say that and blah blah blah.....

So, what we say to him when we punish him gets thrown back at us when he is angry with us. Given this circumstance, I cannot scold him with such 'meaningless' words anymore. Instead I will always have to reason with him why he cannot have this or that or do this and that.

As I say....irritating...and very tiring too.

But lately, it has become useful too. Coz of late he has been learning to read in school and frequently he would tell me that he is the teacher and I am the student. And he wants to teach me to read Peter and Jane.

And its quite comical because he would read and when he comes to a word he is not too sure about, he would ask me to read. So I go "You tell me teacher. I don't know." And I can see him struggling to remember. Sometimes he does. Sometimes I say "Is that the word 'here' teacher?" And he would say "Clever girl." and continue reading.

And I can see how the teacher (in her exasperation) teaches him coz he will say the same to (ignorant) me like "Can't you see this is the same. It's the same word. How come you don't know?"

eg : Here is Peter and here is Jane.

So anyway, I was relating this to my colleague and she told me her son does not do role playing. He doesn't ever pretend to be someone else. Which in my mind I am thinking - oh! at least then you don't have to choose your words too carefully when scolding him for fear he will use the same words in the same tone and throw it back at you.

(of course no excuse to use harsh words or simply raise your voice....you know what I mean, I hope!)

Does your child role play alot?

12 comments:

Ponytail said...

HaHa!
Mike said Zoe is just like me when she show her anger and scold ppl :p
To me, Zoe likes to cook too, just like what I do daily...that! nobody complement me leh..hmmph!

I think role playing is part of growing up and how they learn. It's good for the kid :)
Does Christopher have imaginery frens too?

smallkucing said...

Kids ike to imitate adult. Mine too. Now he kept asking how much how much coz the Ah likes to ask How much

reanaclaire said...

Being a mum is not easy, hor.. got to pretend as a student too at times! hahahaaa...

Baby Darren said...

Darren loves role play too. He loves to pretend to be a teacher and always call us "children:..hahaha..it's actually fun seeing them pretending to be someone's else. great way to learn too.

mNhL said...

ohh...yes...my boy loves to imitate us (the adults). Sometimes, I got to be careful with my words too.

Chris is so clever....read to you.

Mummy Gwen said...

Gwen does that all the time. She would say she is a frog lah, horse, cat, Minnie..haha..whatever she can think of and her fav animals/characters.

Irene said...

Role play, my vic does not, but imitate us she does... err issit the same? no, coz sometimes the words that spill out of her mouth sounds so much like mine! uh oh! doesn't sound too right when it comes out of her mouth, eg when she scolds her brother or when she expresses frustration.

coffeesncookies said...

oh yes, role playing, always, to a point i hv to think twice of sending her to drama class in Dec. She's already so good at it. What irritates me most is when she imitates us scolding her. I have to bite my tongue and hold back scolding her with harsh words.
Be patient, I was told, and am still trying to.

Sheoh Yan said...

My children also like role playing, also want me to be their student. Hehehe!

mommy to chumsy said...

oh what a coincidence. You wrote a post on role playing and then followed by me..hehehehheheh. Mine would also scold her dolls or toys :D

LittleLamb said...

I cannot recall when was the last time Philip role played. Perhaps I should focus on him more? I think I've neglecting him at home cos when at home, I m normally sleeping or on the computer. he, he will be watching tv n self play.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Sarah seldom play "role play" with me. She prefers to play with her bears.