Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Can I scrutinize you first?

Caylee is at the age of scrutinizing people. Yes, indeed, she will scrutinize you. Look at you at all angles and up and down.

We had her infant dedication last Saturday at our home. It was great. My parents were there. My spiritual family was there. Pastor Reynold and Aunty Florence were also there to perform and witness the dedication. It felt more intimate doing it at home rather than in church.

Anyway, Aunty Florence wanted to carry her. But before she could do so, she had to spend a good 20+ minutes talking to her and allowing Caylee to look at her, while I carried her. Caylee would occasionally look back at me while Aunty Florence was doing this. As if seeing if I am friendly with this person. And after that, when Aunty Florence put out her hands again wanting to carry her, Caylee reached out for her hands.

Yesterday my nanny told me another story. Her twin sister came to visit her that day. And they were sitting in front of Caylee's playpen. When Caylee woke up, she sat in her playpen and looked around. When she saw the twin sister and her nanny, she looked at each so carefully. Nanny said she kept on staring at her twin sister and then looking back at her nanny. She sat and stared, stood up and stared. And after all that staring, when the twin sister wanted to carry her, Caylee turned away. And turned towards her own nanny instead.

Yeah...its the smell! :)

Her self preservation is very strong. She doesn't really allow people to carry her and would cry if I attempt to pass her to someone she doesn't want to go to. In fact I am finding it hard to pass her to the nanny's husband or the nanny's daughter when I drop her off. She won't cry but she will show reluctance. In fact would even turn away and hug me. But she reaches out and goes willingly to her nanny.

Good thing she accepts my parents and my inlaws. At least when they are around I can vanish from her sight with no worries.

Christopher was vastly different.

7 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

hehhhhehe..so cute of Caylee. At least she is careful not to go into the wrong hands :)

reanaclaire said...

yes..most kids are wary of strangers.. it is good in a way.. they will yell if any stranger wants to carry them.. :)

Alice Law said...

LOL, cautious little baby! Perhaps she is more clingy and aware compared to Christopher?

Sasha Tan said...

she can identify twins by the smell! so clever

Mummy Gwen said...

Caylee is observant and smart. Gwen never bothered and she doesn't let anyone to carry her except mummy and daddy.

Irene said...

My Vic was very cautious of other ppl too, would not even let them come near or stare at her, otherwise she'd cry loud loud! Very "mmm bei min" no give face one. William, my boy is quite different... same as your christopher.

andrewjune said...

dont worry it's just another phase...
soon she will learn to "like" everyone else...*wink*