Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I gave my optometrist a hard time!

I have had a long term affair with spectacles. The first time I put on my glasses, I was in Standard 4 with a degree of 300+. I remember taking DAYS to get accustomed to the slanting floor and the sharpness of dust particles in the sunlight surrounding me. My parents said that confirmed I was short sighted when they asked me to look at the birds (they were supposedly colourful) on the telephone pole. And I was like "where??"

Anyways.....it has been years. Now, if ever I take off my glasses, I feel a little naked and a lot insecure. During my wedding day when I got myself contacts, I found myself subconciously reaching up to 'fix' my glasses only to find myself grasping air instead.

Anyways back to the point.

I went to visit my favourite optometrist tonight. More coz Caylee broke the bridge rest of my specs and I had to have it changed. And since we were there, decided to test my eye sight. Of late my power has been steadily decreasing. So, my fear to get my eyes checked has turned into slight anticipation.

Went through the motions of answering "which is clearer? the 1st or the 2nd? the 3rd or the 4th? etc."
For the life of me, they looked all the same to me. So I kept giving the poor guy half hearted answers. And he sounded so incredulous asking me "Are you sure? Let's do that again. Ask me to repeat if you are not sure, ok". So, I sensed something was amiss.

And this was just for my right eye. We haven't even done my left!

Sometimes in between, he even told me "You are trying too hard! Don't overthink it. Just look at tell me."

"Close your eyes and relax. Just look and decide. Don't have to think so hard!".

At this point I was actually laughing and really felt sorry for him. I reckon after some 15 minutes, he gave up on my right eye and did my left. At least my left eye gave more consistent results!

In the end, he told me that for my right he was giving me a difference of up to 100 points and I was still telling him there is no difference! How can that be so? Poor fella....truthfully, there really wasn't much difference!

Anyways....in the end he put my current specs on. Put a reduction lens of 50 in front of me and WOW....what a difference. It was like a burden has been taken off my eyes. Things were so much clearer and so much easier to see.

Thinking of it now, I should have asked him to put a 100 reduction to see if things were even clearer! But I reckon that would be too sudden a drop.

His final word to me was "I think your eyes have learnt to accommodate too much. I am wondering if you were ever wrongly diagnosed a prescription."

Well, I wonder myself. But at least I know I am in good hands now. Thank you Mr. Edmund. So, to all my 4 eyed friends......if ever you want a good optometrist, head over to Bond Eyecare in SS2 and Mr. Edmund and his lovely wife will attend to your needs.

So, I will start my new year with new eyes, framed in brown. Seems that is the only colour that makes me look 'prettier'! :)

Have a happy new year one and all. Look with your eyes but see with your heart.

6 comments:

MeRy said...

Looking forward for ur new looks with ur new specs.

Small Kucing said...

thnks for the recommendation :)

Irene said...

No picture of the new you? I used to wear glasses since standard two, and my power went up to 700 before I decided to LASIK it. Happy new year to you and family.

Mummy Gwen said...

Haha..you are funny lah. I got my eyes checked almost 6 months ago. I was like you too, couldn't tell which is clearer..LOL.

P/S: Happy New Year 2012 to you and your family!

LittleLamb said...

Save up for lasik. Ask Dr Fang :)

Sushma Gupta said...

Great post. Keep sharing.