Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fire insurance

When people mention insurance, you are either for it or not.

Some of us have health insurances, education insurance and for houses now you also have fire insurance. But I am talking about another kind of insurance.

We had a talk on fire that day in our office. It was kinda interesting. He asked what we would use to put out a fire on someone. Sand, water, blanket or roll. And he showed us the outcome of what would happen to the person's body if we used any of the 4 methods. I was kinda disgusted when I realised that if you pull a blanket off the person, their skin will also come off! :(

He also showed us a video of how people were jumping off the ledge in their condo due to the toxicity of the smoke. I had to trun away when a pregnant lady climbed on the ledge and sat there for a while debating whether to jump or not.

At the end of the talk, he did mention that his sponsor sells fire equipment. I bought a fire extinguisher (1kg), 2 fire masks and 1 fire alarm for RM667. It's at a discounted rate and the extinguisher does not need maintainence for the next 15 years. And if we ever use it in this next 4 years, the company will give us a new replacement FOC.

But I didn't buy it coz of the bandwagon mentality or coz I was gullible. But I am an insurance kind of girl. And I rather be safe than sorry. Since I move into this new house, I have been thinking of getting one. So, this came late but better than never.

Also, I will be installing hooks by the window and balcony grill to hang the keys. I have  been thinking of doing this for a while but have been putting it off.

2 comments:

Mommy to Chumsy said...

it's great that you bought a fire extinguisher, masks and fire alarm. We have none of that. I just put the grill keys near the window :(

LittleLamb said...

You know, P's kindy invited us for a safety talk about a month ago. So I went. It was a sales talk by an external co. They were so unprofessional, that's why I didnt buy from them. They had the blanket rm99, extinguisher... I wanted to buy but saw their unprofessionalim, i decided not too cos i was worried about post-sales service.