Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Renovation 1.02

So, the very next day after our trip to Homedec, we had an appointment with our contractor.

My sis gave me this contact saying "We know him as Frankie. But his name is Mr. Yip." The we-know-him-as-Frankie phrase stuck instead his-name-is-Mr.Yip. And soon after I was calling him Frankie when making reference to him with hubby. So when I called him, I called him Frankie instead of Mr. Yip. He must have thought me pretty rude!

Oh well....

He turned out to be a pretty swell guy.

He smiled at our outrageous suggestions and subtly recommended alternatives. I even told him outright, PLEASE tell me if this sounds too expensive so we don't even have to bother thinking about it. And he asked so many questions that the things I had to do seemed such a long list I myself got tired of asking for more.

Even right now I can think of a few things I want to add.....

When we got to the dry and wet kitchen discussion, he was very open to what I wanted to do. The reason why I may opt for a contracted dry kitchen instead of a specialized dry kitchen. Custom kitchens by specialized kitchen people are expensive.

Anyways, we gave him a headache with our roofing. And he gave us things to google about like formica cabinets and countertops. My father inlaw got me googling asbestos roofing as well.

One thing I am liking about Frankie so far is that all his sub-cons are chinese. Tiling and carpentry work are all old timers. And he says "If it doesn't pass my approval, it won't get to you!" Also he seems great at advising us on cost savings.

I think our quotation is going to take a month considering the things I need to get done. I hope the cost would not exceed 100K coz that is what I am budgeting for with him.

So, anyone know anything about formica kitchens and asbestos/plastic roofing (versus polycarbonate)?

3 comments:

LittleLamb said...

Can I tumpang your contractor to build something for me? I want a small top and no carpenter want to saw it for me.

Health Freak Mommy said...

How exciting it is to plan renovation and shopping for stuff for your new house!!

mun said...

I guess you mean asbestos/plastic plaster ceiling boards and not roofing, right?

I google for "asbestos free ceiling" and found this Future Ceiling company in Puchong selling it. Perhaps you can check it out.

I have not used them before so I am not sure whether the ceiling boards are really asbestos free or not.