Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Renovation Decisions

Renovation work has started at last! Actual date of starting was 29th July 2013. 

Within the first week, the 'raw' structure of the porch is up. And the extension borders at the back are now up.

Decisions made in the first week was the shape of the porch pillars and walls. And at the back to confirm door and window placement.

It is the 2nd week now. Contractor has placed a deposit for my security back door. It will be stainless steel with half window. Initially I wanted a steel door so that I could have the flat piece at the back of the door longer than my step. This is to avoid rats from entering the house. 

However, hubby was more interested in the security door - less maintenance and more secure. Especially since our back yard is not blocked and is in fact accessible for anyone to walk. But you cannot custom make a security door so that the back is longer than the step. I told this to the contractor and his partner. And they came up with a solution that they will make the inside of the door a little higher so that the door will close against the floor (if you know what I mean). "Rely on my expertise", the contractor told me. Indeed I am!

Also confirmed that the roof tiles will be red. Not blue or grey or (jokingly) pink!

There are 5 people working on the house and all of them are chinese. So, their workmanship should be really good. Contractor told me all his partners are all old timer chinese workers. The only thing is that one of them is really loud! But I can accept this for all the hard work they are putting.

No comments: