Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Being bullied


Since returning to school after CNY, my son has been bullied twice.

Early in the school year, other kids from his class were being bullied. I know coz the parents were discussing this over the WhatsApp group chat. I felt sorry for the kids but glad that Christopher was not a target.

The 2nd incident caused us all to question him a little more.

We found out that the 2 times he got bullied was when he was alone in class. It happened either before or at the end of recess time.

The thing that irks me to no end is that he was alone in class during recess time because he intended to complete his home work in school. I mean, $^#& these bullies. My son is doing a good thing here. And for that he gets targeted?

His grandparents caught upon a sign just this week. To survive not being bullied, kids are advised NOT to be alone at all times, no matter what the circumstance. So, even if a teacher asks you to do something, you are NOT to do it if that means you will be alone.

When my mum told me this, I was so mad. IF the school knew this to be happening, why don't they get teachers to walk around, at least for the first few months, where the Primary 1 classes are located. So that if they see kids alone in the classroom, they can go advise the kid not to be in class during recess?

Christopher is taking all of this pretty well in fact. He doesn't make a big deal out of his bullying. And in fact my conversation with him about the matter is usually put to an end fairly quickly. I hope it is not because he was threatened. I hope he doesn't say much about it because he doesn't want to cause an over-reaction in me.

Like his first day of school, the more positive his reaction to a matter, the more I feel he deserves more.  Which makes me resolve not to be so hard on him on other matters. And to respect his decision on how things should be handled.

I have told him to not go to class during recess anymore. I will accept that he has alot of homework to do and if he plays too hard and is a little dirty, I will accept it too. I just want him to have a positive learning experience in school. And to always know he can talk to me and I will listen carefully to him. It takes a lot of determination on my part to stop the chores and really talk to my kid. To heck with my own exercise and a clean house. Christopher deserves so much more from me too.

I am so proud of my son. 

No comments: