Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chinese New Year 2014

Chinese New Year was so different for us this year.

It was the first year celebrating with my new sister in law. Next year her little one will be joining us as well. I love that my kids will have a new cousin.

Also given Christopher is in Std 1 this year, we could not take prolonged leave of absences. School started on Day 5 so after the customary Day 1 at my inlaws place, we spent Day 2-4 in Malacca.

My dad's family is in Malacca. And my aunt from Kemaman and one of her daughters from Australia would be back. So, it was a reunion of sorts.

Dinner with the whole clan was a cluttery affair. We used to split up between the generations - the old generation and the young. However, this year, the young generation could not be contained in one table. We were 5 couples and 5 kids trying to squeeze into one table. In the end, one of the couples with a baby had to sit in the older generation table. I reckon they at least had a proper meal.

My elder cousin's daughter was literally an angel. She was well behaved and bowed even when she said sorry to you. A far cry from my Australian cousin's son, my daughter and even my other cousin's 8 month old baby girl. Although we received some comments on the comparison, I am glad taht I could handle the criticism. And I empathize with my other cousin's wife who juggling her 8 month old baby had not yet generated her thick skin!

My son was a charming boy. He has a tendency I realise to reach out to the ones who are a little shy. My cousin's son from Australia took a long time to warm up to the other kids and I found my son being particularly attentive when playing with him. It was great.

We did the customary Jonker Street exploration. This time without my son as he wanted to climb the St Paul's hill with my dad. Saw the most expensive and eye catching T in Hardrock. Good thing in a way they did not have my size in stock. If they did, it would be my 2nd time buying a T costing close to RM100.

We also did the boat ride, this time in the night. Differnt from doing it in the day, something about the lights.

My cousin's husband and her son fell ill the next day so they had to stay in and make an early start back to Kemaman. So, we did the customary cendol and other Malacca food and also made an earlier than expected start back to KL.

Next year, it would be back to Ipoh for CNY. Maybe a reunion in Taiping. Since my parents moved down, we have planned it to be a year with my dad's family and another year with my mum's. We shall see how best that plays out.

No comments: